Sunday, January 19, 2014

My friend, who served here but has already returned home, wrote me, telling me about a few problems she had been having. She then ended her email apologizing for not being more lighthearted. This is my response. And I want you to put yourself in her place, as if I were talking to you specifically as you read it.

Ohmygosh never say that to me! You don't need to try to be more lighthearted. You need to try to be yourself. I've been thinking about small and simple things a lot this week too, actually. And the thing I've learned in my mission is that we, as missionaries, as Mormons, and as human beings, have this strange need to feel like we have it all down perfectly. There will be stormy days. There will be sad times. And therewill be Mondays (as much as we hate them) in which we have very little if anything good to say that is not tainted with feigned good cheer.I do not know you very well. But I do love you. And I never want to ever hear you apologize for living the human experience, which is a thing that comes with tears, whines, and much, much joy. You are wonderful. You are beautiful. And your Heavenly Father loves you. He knows that you love the Gospel and He knows your desires to help apoyar a (excuse the spanish) your sisters in the Work through your weekly letters. He knows the discouragement that has touched your heart, and He is pleased with your efforts. Let those around you know how you are feeling. Let them guide you. They may not be perfect counselors, but they are called of God to be at your side in these tough times. The Lord loves you and He is waiting for your call. Let Him become a part of why you can afford to be so cheerful; because He is your greatest cheerleader. And He loves it when you smile. Don't give up. Don't get down for getting down. You're wonderful. And I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment